There have recently been a number of measles cases in the local area. If you do not know your vaccination status please seek advice from your GP as soon as possible.
Please be aware that the Academy will be open as normal from Tuesday 10th December for all students.
Download our 2018-2019 Assessment policy here:
Outline of staff responsibilities in GCSE controlled assessments
Senior leadership team
- Accountable for the safe and secure conduct of controlled assessments. Ensure assessments comply with JCQ guidelines and awarding bodies’ subject-specific instructions.
- In the summer term prior to the start of the academic year, begin coordinating with Heads of Faculty to schedule controlled assessments.
- Map overall resource management requirements for the year. As part of this resolve:
- clashes/problems over the timing or operation of controlled assessments.
- issues arising from the need for particular facilities (rooms, IT networks, time out of school etc.)
- Ensure that all staff involved have a calendar of events
- Create, publish and update an internal appeals policy for controlled assessments.
Heads of Faculty
- Decide on the awarding body and specification for a particular GCSE.
- Ensure that at least 40% of overall assessment (controlled and/or external assessment) is taken in the exam series in which the qualification is certificated, to satisfy the terminal assessment requirement in accordance with the awarding body specification.
- Standardise internally the marking of all teachers involved in assessing an internally assessed component.
- Ensure that individual teachers understand their responsibilities with regard to controlled assessment.
- Ensure that individual teachers understand the requirements of the awarding body's specification and are familiar with the relevant teachers' notes, and any other subject specific instructions.
- Where appropriate, develop new assessment tasks or contextualize sample awarding body assessment tasks to meet local circumstances, in line with awarding body specifications and control requirements.
- Understand and comply with the general guidelines contained in the JCQ publication Instructions for conducting controlled assessments.
- Understand and comply with the awarding body specification for conducting controlled assessments, including any subject-specific instructions, teachers’ notes or additional information on the awarding body’s website.
- Supply to the Exams Office details of all unit codes for controlled assessments.
- Obtain confidential materials/tasks set by awarding bodies in sufficient time to prepare for the assessment(s) and ensure that such materials are stored securely at all times.
- Supervise assessments (at the specified level of control). Undertake the tasks required under the regulations, only permitting assistance to students as the specification allows.
- Ensure that students and supervising teachers sign authentication forms on completion of an assessment.
- Mark internally assessed components using the mark schemes provided by the awarding body. Submit marks through the exams office to the awarding body when required, keeping a record of the marks awarded.
- Retain candidates’ work securely between assessment sessions (if more than one).
- Post-completion, retain candidates’ work securely until the closing date for enquiries about results. In the event that an enquiry is submitted, retain candidates work securely until the outcome of the enquiry and any subsequent appeal has been conveyed to the centre.
- Ask the appropriate special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) for any assistance required for the administration and management of access arrangements.
- Enter students for individual units, whether assessed by controlled assessment, external exam or on-screen test, before the deadline for final entries.
- Enter students' 'cash-in' codes for the terminal exam series.
- Where confidential materials are directly received by the exams office, to be responsible for receipt, safe storage and safe transmission, whether in CD or hard copy format.
Special educational needs coordinator/additional learning support
- Ensure access arrangements have been applied for.
- Work with teaching staff to ensure requirements for support staff are met.